A post office called St. Michael has been in operation since 1858. The city took its name from St. Michael Roman Catholic Church. St. Michael was incorporated in 1890. The Corner Bar map, is a landmark establishment that has operated since 1897. It is located at 10 Main Street South in the “downtown” area of the city. The Crow River flows along the city’s eastern boundary, separating it from the city of Rogers in Hennepin County. It also borders Monticello Township, Buffalo Township, Rockford Township, and the cities of Otsego and Albertville, all in Wright County, as well as the city of Hanover, which is located within both Wright and Hennepin counties.